X Witold Lutosławski
International Cello Competition Warsaw, February 5-12, 2015
X Witold Lutosławski International Cello Competition organized by the FOUNDATION FOR THE PROMOTION OF YOUNG CELLISTS will be held in Warsaw, Poland from February 5th to the 12th, 2015.
1. The Jury of the Competition will consist of 9 prominent musicians: 3 Polish and 6 foreign cellists.
2. The Jury assesses the quality of the Contestants' performances according to its internal regulations.
The Competition is open to cellists of all nationalities born after January 31, 1991.
IV. Applications - Submission Procedure
Application Form for participation in the Competition will be published at www.lutoslawski-cello.art.pl on October 15th, 2014.
The Application Form should be submitted via the internet not later than November 15th, 2014.
A signed Application Form should be delivered to the Competition Secretariat not later than November 30th, 2014 with the following enclosures:
- A photocopy of passport or birth certificate
- Copies of documents certifying the musical background/status of the Applicant
- Recommendation letter from a prominent cellist/professor
- An un-cut audio recording (CD)
- Proof of payment of 100 euro as entrance fee
An un-cut, clearly indexed audio recording of the compositions listed below #. The recording quality must comply with professional standards. The choice of candidates invited to participate at the competition in Warsaw will be made on the basis of this recording and will be anonymous to the Evaluation Board appointed by Organisers. Therefore the recording must be marked with a password (a freely chosen sequence of symbols) should be visibly and legibly written on the CD and/or on the envelope. The authenticity of the recording should be verified by a pedagogue or other musical expert (e.g. the recording producer or sound engineer). Failure to comply with the established program requirements will be grounds for disqualification.
# Recording of the following pieces is required:
1. Johann Sebastian Bach - one Prelude from one Suite for solo cello
2. Witold Lutosławski - Sacher Variation
3. Carl Maria von Weber - Adagio and Rondo
Payment of 100 euro as entrance fee should be made payable to:
FOUNDATION FOR THE PROMOTION OF YOUNG CELLISTS
BIC: KRDBPLPW, IBAN: PL67
BANK ZACHODNI WBK S.A., 63 ODDZIAL w WARSZAWIE
Account No: 67 1500 1012 1210 1004 3077 0000
V. Acceptance of Applications
1. The Applicants will be informed about acceptance or rejection of their application by December 15, 2014.
2. The registration fee, transfer fee subtracted, will be refunded to those who were not accepted.
3. In case of cancellation later than December 30, 2014, the entrance fee will not be refunded.
VI. Travel and Lodging Expenses
1. Each contestant shall cover his/her travel expenses to and from Warsaw.
2. The Organisers will assist with hotel reservations on the Participant's request.
3. The Applicants are advised to check the current visa requirements for entrance into Poland. The Organisers will provide the necessary invitation letter if required.
VII. Order of Playing
1. The Contestants will play in alphabetical order.
2. The starting letter of the participants list will be established by the Organisers by a ballot and the order of appearances will be announced immediately after closing the list of participants.
3. The order of the Contestants' appearances will be maintained throughout the Competition.
Competitors have to present themselves at the Secretariat of the Competition on February 5, 2015 at the latest.
Contestants arriving late, owing to some important reasons, and presenting themselves at the Secretariat at least one day before the end of the First Stage may, by the decision of the President of the Jury, be given an audition outside the regular order of appearances, at the end of the First Stage.
The Organisers reserve the right to make alterations to the order of auditions within a single day, for organisational reasons.
As a rule - no more than forty eight Contestants will be admitted to the First Stage, twelve to the Second Stage, and four to the Final.
VIII. Competition Program
1. The competition will be in three stages; all performances will be open to the public.
2. Repertoire of the First Stage has to be played by heart. In the Second Stage - Grave by Witold Lutosławski has to be played by heart. In the Final Stage - Concertos by Haydn and Schumann have to be played by heart.
3. At a given Stage the Contestant may choose the order of playing his/her selections.
IX. Accompanying Pianists and Cellists
1. The Organisers will provide official pianists; they will be available to Contestants during the Competition.
2. The Organisers will provide official cellists to play basso part of Sonatas by Luigi Boccherini; they will be available to Contestants during the First Stage of the Competition.
3. Before the First Stage the Contestant will have the right to rehearse 30 minutes with the pianist and 30 minutes with accompanying cellist.
4. Before the Second Stage the Contestant will have the right to rehearse for 2 hours with the pianist.
5. The contestants may also be accompanied by their own pianist and/or cellists at their expenses.
6. The finalists will have two rehearsals with orchestra.
X. Prizes and Awards
1. Statutory Prizes: Total amount of not less than 15, 000 Euro will be distributed by the Jury among Prize Winners.
2. At the decision of the Jury the First Prize Laureate may receive the Grand Prix for an outstanding performance of Lutosławski`s Cello Concerto.
3. Special prizes will be awarded by the Jury.
4. The participants of the Second Stage who did not advance to the Final will be awarded a Diploma of Participation.
5. The Jury has the sole right to withhold awards of the special prizes and/or their amount.
6. Decisions of the Jury are final and no legal action may be taken against them.
All financial and other awards donated by institutions and private persons should be registered with the Director of the Competition by December 31, 2014
Awards accepted by the Competition will be announced as the extra statutory awards.
Financial awards will be paid in Polish currency, irrespectively of the currency in which they were deposited.
XI. Award Ceremony
1. The statutory prizes and awards will be presented to awardees after the Final performances on February 12th 2015.
2. All other non-statutory awards will be presented separately on the same day.
XII. Other Regulations
1. The official language is English.
2. The Organisers of the Competition reserve unrestricted rights to broadcast, videotape, television, film, and audio recordings of the performances.
3.All issues beyond the competence of the Jury will be decided by the Director of the Competition. The Director's decisions are final and irrevocable and no legal action may be taken against them.